
Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord
About the Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord
The steelworks in the north of Duisburg was founded in 1902 by August Thyssen as a stock corporation for metallurgical operations. By 1908, five blast furnaces were in operation. In addition to the steelworks, the 200-hectare site included an ore pit, a sinter plant, a coking plant and a foundry.
Built in 1902 and extended into several stages until 1911, the Kraftzentrale (power plant) was the steelworks' energy centre for over six decades. It was used to generate electricity and blow air for the blast furnaces until 1965, when the machinery was decommissioned and scrapped. After being decommissioned, it was reopened as an event venue in 1997 and impresses with its monumental architecture. Measuring 170 metres in length, it is one of the largest industrial monuments in the region.
The Gebläsehalle (blower house), formerly used to supply air to the blast furnaces, is now a versatile venue for music and theatre productions. Its massive steel beams and high ceilings create an impressive atmosphere that preserves its industrial legacy.
The partially open Gießhalle (casting house), part of the blast furnace ensemble, was once the site of the so-called ‘tapping’, where molten pig iron was poured into sand moulds. Since the 1990s, it has been used for concerts, theatre and open-air events. To further enhance the venue, a retractable roof was installed in 2003 to provide shelter for all visitors in the event of rain.
Directions and arrival
Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord
Emscherstr. 71
47137 Duisburg
Accessibility at the venue
